Mormon Missionary Teen Survives Brussels, Paris and Boston Terrorist Attacks
Posted On Mar 23, 2016
Mason Wells is the epitome of a survivor.
The 19-year-old Mormon missionary, who on Tuesday survived the unexpected and tragic terrorist attack at the Brussels Zaventem Airport, has been through this experience before. Wells also survived the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings and the horrific terrorist attacks last year in Paris, France, People magazine is reporting.
In an interview with ABC News, Wells’ parents told the network how he is always “calm and composed” in every terrorist attack he has faced.
“This is the third time that sadly in our society that we have a connection to a bomb blast,” his father Chad told the media organization. “We live in a dangerous world and not everyone is kind and loving.”
On Tuesday, Wells found himself at the Brussels airport with two fellow missionaries from his church in Utah— Richard Norby, 66, and Josephy Empey, 20. The group was sending off Fanny Rachel Clain, 20, to Ohio on her latest missionary assignment. Clain was not hurt in the attack.
Right after the airport bomb went off, there was another attack at the Maaelbeek Metro Station nearby. In total, 31 people were killed, and 187 were injured.
Wells, whose phone call with his parents was broadcast on Good Morning America on Tuesday, says he will remain in the hospital for a few weeks.
“The burns aren’t too bad at all, so they’re pretty sure they’re not going [to] scar,” he said, adding how he has burns to the right side of his head and by his ear as well. “My right hand is also kind of badly burned.”
Wells’ parents, Chad and Kimberly Wells, said in a statement they are grateful their son is doing well considering how close he was to the bomb.
“He has undergone surgery to repair his Achilles heel and he’s also been treated for burns and shrapnel injuries,” the statement read.
“As a family, we feel the power of prayer from those we know and those who only heard Mason’s name for the first time today. We will continue to pray and hope for everyone affected by this tragedy.”
ISIS or ISIL, an extremist Islamic militant group, has claimed responsibility for the terrorist attacks on Tuesday. Currently, Brussels remains on level three terror alert.