Oh Beehive! Katy Perry’s Towering Hair’ Do for Met Gala
Posted On May 03, 2016
The 2016 Met Gala was another one for the books; the world’s most elite costume party was crowded with A-listers flaunting exuberant gowns and edgy makeup. The theme was Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology, which seeks to prove that the machine plays a big role in creating the best fashions for our recent past, our present, and future.
One starlet that is notorious for drumming to the beat of her own fashion drum is our beloved Katy Perry. True to form, the blue-eyed singer sported the most memorable look of the night; Perry donned a midnight blue gown that was festooned with gold trinkets and a floral design. The ensemble was given an edgy touch with long leather fingerless gloves, which put to display her gold manicure to match the dress’ gold trinkets. Perry sealed the futuristic look with glamorous dark blue lips, violet eye shadow, and near-invisible eyebrows.
However, the buzz on the street is regarding Perry’s towering classic beehive look. She was styled exclusively with Oscar Blandi Hair Care products by Chris Appleton, who is calling the look a “modern day beehive.”
Here is the look breakdown straight from Chris:
- On damp hair apply Oscar Blandi Hair Lift Mousse throughout and spray Oscar Blandi Jasmine Protein Mist from mid-shaft through the ends and comb through the hair.
- Blow dry hair upside down, so the hair dries in the correct direction and gets rid of any bumps or lumps. Spray your brush with Oscar Blandi Lacca Medium Hold Hair Spray for hold and shine and brush into a high ponytail. Secure with elastic.
- Split hair into two sections, pinning the top aside for later. Tease the bottom section for volume, sprinkling in Oscar Blandi Dry Teasing Dust as you go. I used a foam donut around the base of the pony pulling through the teased section to create more volume and help with the structure of the look.
- Now for the top section, work a small amount of Oscar Blandi Sculpting Pomade through the hair to get that glossy, high shine finish. That pomade is key in molding such a structured look. Add more Lacca Hairspray and blast on a lower setting with the blow dryer to set and seal in the hold and shine.
- Take that polished, glossy top section and begin to wrap around the teased hair and donut in a clockwise direction. Pin into place.
- Set the whole look with a ton of Lacca Hairspray, which gives off a lot of light reflecting shine.
Oscar Blandi products can be purchased at ulta.com and do not forget to follow @OscarBlandiHairCare @ChrisAppleton1 for more hair tips!
Is this iconic hairstyle making a comeback?!
Cover photo credit: Splash
beautyBeehiveChris AppletonClassichairhairstyleKaty PerryManus X MachinaMet GalaOscar BlandiOscar Blandi Hair Care