Super Bowl Teams 101
Posted On Feb 05, 2016
Ladies, if you want to impress your bf with a little more Super Bowl knowledge than just Beyoncé performing at halftime with Cold Play, here are a few facts to soak up before Sunday.
Who: Carolina Panthers vs. Denver Broncos
When: Sunday, Feb. 7, 6:30 p.m. EST.
Where: Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. This will be the first time a Super Bowl is played at the field, which is home to the San Francisco 49ers.
Why is this a big deal?
Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers (15-1 regular season) will take on Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos (12-4). Both teams were the top seeds in their respective conferences going into the playoffs.
In case you were wondering, a top seed is not a gardening term, rather, it refers to the rank of the teams prior to the playoffs. Both the Panthers and the Broncos were ranked #1 in each of their conferences; it’s the top two teams going head to head.
The Broncos are now tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Dallas Cowboys, and the New England Patriots for the most Super Bowl appearances with eight. Unfortunately, they also lead in the number of Super Bowl losses with five.
The Top Dogs
Cam Newton: Quarterback for the Carolina Panthers
Born: May 11, 1989
Jersey Number: #1
- The only player in the modern era to within a one-year span, be awarded the Heisman Trophy, win a national championship, and become the first overall pick in an NFL draft
- NFL Rookie of the Year (2011)
- NFL Touchdown Leader (2015)
- Holds the SEC record for being the first player to throw for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in a single season
- First NFL player in history to run for 10+TDs, pass for 4,000+ yards and rush for 500+ yards in a single season.
Has a gorge girlfriend, Kia Proctor, who is a model and rumored (wink) former stripper.
- They just had a son together, named Chosen.
- Cam Newton is sometimes referred to as the ‘LeBron of the NFL’
- He is very vocal about being a Christian and loves to do motivational speaking
- Newton partnered with Southern department store chain Belk on his own clothing line, MADE by Cam Newton
Peyton Manning: Quarterback for the Denver Broncos
Born: March 24, 1976
Jersey Number: #18
- Five-time league MVP (league record)
- NFL all-time leader in career touchdown passes and passing yards (league record)
- Manning’s playing career and statistics have ranked him among the greatest quarterbacks of all-time
- Super Bowl champion (XLI)
- Super Bowl MVP (XLI)
- On October 19, 2014, he broke Brett Favre’s record for most career TDs when he threw his 509th touchdown pass
- Peyton Manning’s nickname: The Sheriff – This is not because he wears ass-chaps in the locker room, which would be the ideal scenario. It’s because he has the best arm in the league, like a gun-slinging Sheriff.
- You can currently see him humming about chicken parm in the Nationwide commercials.
- Rapper O.T. Genasis mentions Peyton Manning in his 2014 song, “Touchdown”
- Hosted SNL in 2007 with musical guest Carrie Underwood
- Manning guest-voiced (with his brothers, Eli and Cooper) on an episode of The Simpsons called “O Brother, Where Bart Thou?”
While we are excited to support our hubbies and their love for football, we can all look forward to what what truly excites us…
Go get em’ ladies! And don’t forget to check out your Glam Guide to Super Bowl Sunday!
Cover Photo Credit: Sports Center