What We Know About Cannes So Far…
Posted On Mar 30, 2016
Ladies and Gentleman, the time is approaching for the lustrous, glamourous, and most prestigious film festival in the world. The 69th Festival International du Film de Cannes is set to take place May 11-22, but already more than half the coveted competition lineup is in place.
Although we still have some time before the magical cinematic festivities, here’s some fun film buzz that we’ve dug up so far:
- Woody Allen’s Café Society is set to open the festival.
- Café Society stars Kristen Stewart, Jesse Eisenberg, Blake Lively, and Steve Carell, and centers on the buzzing café society of 1930’s Hollywood.
- Woody Allen will be the first director to open Cannes three times – Hollywood Ending opened the festival in 2002 and Midnight in Paris in 2011.
- Jodie Foster’s Money Monster starring Julia Roberts and George Clooney will screen at the festival.
- The dramatic Money Monster fuels a live on-air hostage-taking situation with Clooney who stars as a sketchy investment broker television personality and Roberts as his producer.
- This is Julia Roberts first Cannes Film Festival appearance. (Shocking, Right?!)
- Steven Spielberg’s anticipated pairing with Disney on The BFG, The Big Friendly Giant, will screen as well.
- In case you forgot about this childhood favorite, The BFG, originally written by Roald Dahl, tells the story of a young orphan girl (Ruby Barnhill) and the Giant (Mark Rylance) who introduces her to a world full of adventure, magic and thrill.
- George Miller, director of Mad Max: Fury Road, will be president of the jury for the festival.
Incase you are day dreaming about crashing Cannes, as I am right now…
The main viewings are by invitation only, flights are booked three months out, and hotels are impossible to snag. Sacré bleu!