The Battle with 4,900,000 hairs!
Posted On Aug 26, 2020
By Robyn Newmark
A hairy situation indeed! I don’t know if any of us would like to be compared to an ape, but both chimpanzees and humans have approximately 5 million hairs on their bodies. Needless to say, the hair of a primate is much coarser than human hair. On average, humans have approximately 100,000 hairs on their heads. Since the beginning of time, the remaining 4,900,000 hairs have undergone an endless cycle of maintenance, including often time-consuming and even painful routines in order for humans to be carefree and hair free!
Today, we have many new and effective options for hair removal. More than 90% of American women voluntarily get rid of their body and facial hair. Therefore, it is important to stay educated when seeking hair removal treatments.
ALL ABOUT HAIR
Hair is made of a protein called keratin. Each hair is anchored to the skin by a hair follicle where living cells divide and grow to build a hair shaft. Each follicle can grow multiple hairs over multiple times in a person’s lifetime.
- There are 3 phases to hair growth: Resting Phase, (Telogen) Transitional Phase (Catagen) and Growth Phase (Anagen). Most hair is growing during the Anagen phase and this phase can span several years.
- No matter what method of hair removal you are using, hair can only be eliminated while in the Growth or Anagen phase. About 10-15% of your hair is in this phase at any given time.
- Hormones, menstrual cycles, medication, pregnancy and aging can all cause unwanted hair.
MANAGING YOUR EXPECTATIONS
There are many methods of hair removal. It is important to manage your expectations for the hair removal treatment that you are considering and take the time to understand the process and commitment. For the purpose of this article, I am referring to the most common methods usually performed by beauty and medical professionals such as waxing, sugaring, electrolysis and lasers, as well as the use of high-grade botanicals such as Epilfree. Epilfree is an all-natural non-laser, extremely effective permanent hair reduction solution. The is one of the most requested treatments at Newmark Beauty.
There are many solutions, so be sure you have considered these key points:
- It can be long process – Multiple hair removal treatments may be needed to reduce hair growth.
- It can be expensive – Depending on the number of treatments or size of the area, the costs can add up.
- It can be painful – Some methods have much more of an “OUCH” factor than others. Beauty professionals should be honest with their clients and recommend options to reduce any discomfort.
- Side Effects – Most methods have some sort of side effect from minor redness to potential burning, blisters and discoloration.
- Importance of before and after care relevant to each method.
The great news is that we now have methods to permanently reduce hair! The not-so-good news is that we are constantly developing active new hair. Stay educated, informed and committed to the process. This will lead to a successful hair removal service for you. There is nothing more rewarding than feeling great and treating yourself to beauty that lasts.
Robyn Newmark is a twenty-year beauty industry professional and educator and the founder of Los Angeles-based Newmark Beauty. For more information, please visit newmarkbeauty.com.