Nuts for Immunity
Posted On Nov 06, 2020
We know the benefits of vitamin C when it comes to fighting a cold. Now, a study in The Journal of Immunology points to the immune-boosting benefits of vitamin E, found in foods such as almonds and sunflower seeds. Tufts University microbiologists and nutrition experts found that this nutrient reduces inflammation and helps fight infection at levels of 200 IU daily (under the max limit of 400 IU, but 10 times the RDA). Ask your doctor for a proper serving size.
Here are a handful of tips to enrich your diet with Vitamin E.
1. Skip the mayo and add sliced avocado to sandwiches.
2. Top your toast with peanut butter, almond butter or avocado.
3. Keep almonds or sunflower seeds handy for quick snacks.
4. Add wheat germ to smoothies, hot cereal, muffins and pancakes.
5. Garnish hot cereal and salads with almonds or sunflower seeds.
6. Add cooked spinach, collards and Swiss chard to soups.