Posted On Aug 13, 2013
NEW YOU Health Tip: Portion control is key to weight loss and weight maintenance.
Learning what a portion size actually is can be tricky, yet it is a key component for weight loss. Try these tips and shortcuts to eat what your body needs, not what your eyes want.
• Use visual cues for portion control. For example, half a cup of whole-grain cooked pasta is about the same size of a hockey puck. Check out this serving size cheat sheet.
• Before eating, divide your plate in half. Fill one side with fruits or vegetables and the other side equal parts protein and starch.
• When eating out, split a serving or ask the server to put half of the meal in a to-go box.
• Eat four to five small meals throughout the day, rather than three oversized meals.
• Use the Meal Measure Tool to measure the food sitting on your plate.