Wellness Hacks That Won’t Break the Bank
Posted On Jun 27, 2016
On a budget but in need of a life change? Not all wellness related activities have to cost you an arm and a leg. Neglecting yourself is the one thing you cannot afford. Here are some ways to include wellness in your life while spending less than $10.
Relax in a Detox Bath
Everyone needs some quiet time. A nice relaxing bath is a perfect way to unwind. Make the water as hot as you can, soak your muscles and plunge into some much needed “you time.”
To turn a regular bath into a detox bath only takes a few ingredients:
- 2 cups of Epsom salt
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 8 to 10 drops of lavender essential oil
Buy a meditation book or download an app to help you enter the world of mindfulness and meditation. Meditation can help with anxiety, stress, and overall well-being.
Here is a simple guide to mindful meditation:
- Sit or lay in a comfortable position
- Bring your attention to your breath, note each inhale and exhale without trying to change your breath in any specific way
- When you notice your mind wandering (as it easily will) gently bring your attention back to your breath and start again
Make a Vision Board
If you have a goal and you don’t write it out, how can you keep yourself accountable? A vision board is the answer. A vision board can help you clarify, concentrate and focus on your specific goals. Visualization is one of the most powerful mind exercises you can do.
How to create your vision board:
- Think about what you want to attract in your life: experiences, feelings, possessions
- Find pictures that represent or symbolize those things and place them on your board
- This is your board so it can be whatever you want it to be, you can include: photos, magazine cutouts, inspirational words, personal tokens- whatever inspires you
- HAVE FUN WITH IT!
- Spend a few minutes each day visualizing, affirming, believing and internalizing your goals.
Cleanse Your Surroundings
The ancient ritual of burning sage, or smudging is one of the oldest and purest methods of cleansing a person, a group of people, or space. If you’re feeling stuck, negative or sluggish try a sage burning to lift your energy and help you start anew.
How to smudge:
- Purchase a sage smudge stick and a small fireproof bowl or ashtray
- Open the windows of your house to help the energy flow
- Light the smudge stick, the same way you light incense
- Say an affirmation or a prayer of cleansing your home
- Walk around and wave the stick all around the room, get the corners, walls, and ceiling lines and repeat in every room
- Extinguish the smudge stick in a cup of water or ashtray
Write in a Journal
Journals are to life as Stevia is to coffee, a natural sweetener. Journals allow you to have a better connection with your values and feelings, improve focus and insight and help track your overall development. Not to mention the process of writing is therapeutic in and of itself. Try to set aside at least 30 minutes at the beginning of the day to set your intentions, or at the end of the day to reflect.
Switch Your Coffee to Tea
Swap out the morning coffee for morning tea. Tea is full of antioxidants, it strengthens the immune system and helps reduce stress. Both coffee and tea have caffeine in them but the higher milligrams per cup in coffee can be associated to a lift followed by a letdown. Tea is also easier on the teeth and the calories. So do yourself a favor and indulge in a little more tea time and fewer coffee breaks.