Eat Your Hearts Out This V-Day
Posted On Feb 12, 2016
Valentine’s Day is around the corner so I wanted to offer a few romantic recipes for your sweetie. You can put a little love on a plate with these fanciful heart shaped breakfast treats, lunch/dinner ideas and desserts. They’ll love you even more knowing a few of these recipes are organic, dairy-free, vegan and non-GMO!
A Heart Shaped Breakfast
Organic Heart Shaped Belgium Waffles
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
1 Tbsp organic Chia Seeds
4 oz organic Apple Sauce
1 tbsp organic coconut sugar
32 fl oz organic almond milk
2 cups of water
1 teaspoon organic baking powder
3 cups of organic all-purpose gluten-free unbleached flour
1 cup of coconut, quinoa or amaranth flour
You will need a Heart shaped waffle maker for this recipe which can be purchased online at JC Penny for $29.
- Add 2 tbsp of chia seeds into a cup and fill it to the 1/4 cup mark with water. Let them sit for a while (5 min or so)
- Once ready, add all the ingredients into a bowl, including the seeds and mix it until thick. You may need more flour if it isn’t thick enough. Feel free to do a test batch in the waffle maker.
You can add some heart shaped strawberries and be sure to use organic, sugar free syrup.
Egg in a Heart!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yields: 2 slices
Whole grain bread (2 slices)
2 teaspoons organic butter
2 organic eggs
salt and pepper
- With a heart shaped cookie cutter, press a hole in the center of the slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and melt in the butter. When the butter is all spread out, place the piece of bread in the skillet and crack the egg straight into the center of the hole.
- Cook until the egg sets a bit on the bottom, 30 to 45 seconds. Sprinkle the egg with salt and pepper. After about a minute, flip it over with a spatula and salt and pepper the other side.
Move the whole piece of toast around the skillet, soaking up all of the glorious butter. Let it cook until the yolk feels soft. Here’s the key: golden brown toast, white (not brown/burned) whites, soft unbroken yolk. Perfect.
A Heart Shaped Lunch
Here is a fun idea to make your lunch time a special one. Add some heart shaped pepperonis to a store bought or homemade pizza.
It’s so easy! Just buy thin sliced pepperoni, cut heart shapes out with a small cookie cutter or scissors, and add to the pizza before cooking. Gentleman, you can even head to Papa Johns or your favorite home town pizza parlor for a plain cheese pizza and add the hearts, pop it in the oven and voilà!
A Heart Shaped Dinner
If you are anything like me, I will be dining with a good wine, some pasta and scrumptious salad on V-Day and there is no better way of doing it than with some heart shaped ravioli! If you are feeling brave and want to hand make your dinner with love, here is a delicious recipe for Stuffed Spinach and Ricotta Cheese in a Pesto Sauce Ravioli. Throw on your apron, pour some wine, put on some Sinatra and have a ball in the kitchen with your loved one!
Or for those who want to spend more time in the bedroom than in the kitchen, go ahead and order Heart Shaped Lobster Ravioli from this authentic online pasta distributer.
A Heart Shaped Dessert
A small heart shaped cutter!
You can also use your heart shaped cookie cutter for:
Sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles…
Don’t forget Brownies…