Posted On Feb 17, 2017
This versatile liquid found in kitchens everywhere contains a host of health benefits.
Who would’ve thought that lowly, everyday vinegar could bestow such benefit to your health? It’s true. The tasty vinegars in your pantry—specifically, apple cider, rice, or red wine varieties—offer hidden benefits aplenty. They help with weight loss, clear up your skin, and may even reduce the risk of cancer. Dr. Caroline Cederquist, M.D., of BistroMD.com and author of The MD Factor Diet says that 1 to 2 teaspoons of vinegar a day can be advantageous. (Be sure to check with your doctor first.)
Apple cider vinegar can lower blood sugar levels and aid in weight loss. “Many people like to dilute apple cider vinegar in water or tea, which helps reduce gas,” says Dr. Cederquist. “If you don’t like the taste of the water-vinegar mixture, add a bit of honey.” All vinegars contain different potent elements. Resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant, is found in the red wine variety. “Drink red wine vinegar with food, as it can be internally harsh,” she notes.
Rice vinegar is full of amino acids, which are important for maintaining a healthy immune system. Because of its rich flavor, Dr. Cederquist advises mixing rice vinegar with hot water and drinking it with meals.
“Always dilute it—and avoid it entirely if you have any digestive issues or conditions,” says Michele McRae, M.S., certified nutritionist for the supplement company Rainbow Light. Incorporating vinegar into your daily diet, whether it’s a drink concoction or dressing for your salad, is a simple way to boost your health and add flavor to your food without the calories, cholesterol, sodium, and fat.
1. Mix Together: 2 Tbsp rice vinegar and 1 Cup hot water
1. Maintain healthy immune system
2. Reduce or prevent harmful cholesterol build up
2. Mix Together: 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 4 oz club soda, and ice.
1. May reduce risk of cancer and slow tumor growth
2. May offer heart healthy and anti-aging properties
3. To boost metabolism, Mix together & Sip 30 minutes before meals*: 1 cup brewed green tea, 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1 Tsp ground cayenne pepper.
1. Enhance immune function
2. Support digestion
3. May lower blood sugar levels
4. Assist in weight loss
5. Reduce constipation
6. Clear skin
7. Heal sunburn
*Excerpt from Apple Cider Vinegar for Health by Britt Brandon